Tweed Shire Council
PO Box 816, Murwillumbah NSW 2484
Attention: General Manager/Joanne Kay
DA 17/0102 – Lot 156, No. 40 Creek Street, Hastings Point
I object to this DA on the following grounds:
Flooding & Drainage
- adverse impact on local drainage and flooding. No attempt to address current flood inundation created by illegal filling – need no fill/increased buffer to reopen estuary flow.
- inaccurate flood impact assessment on regional and local flooding and drainage conditions.
- reliance on inaccurate flood assessments/modelling – particularly of 2005 flood.
- failure to take into account real facts/evidence from community re flooding and drainage.
- failure to consider size of proposal and excessive pressure on rescue/evacuation services for local area with no emergency evacuation egress. It is excessive already.
- unacceptable cumulative impact of fill on the local community, ecology, local drainage, flooding, catchment conditions. Others will have to fill to detriment to those that can’t.
Environmental and Ecological
- adverse impact of storm water/drainage on the environment – estuary, flora and fauna.
- reliance on deficient flora and fauna survey (ignores evid/protection of beach stone curlew) & groundwater assessment to predict real/cumulative impact on receiving environment
- failure to properly consider the existing ecological/hydrological conditions to know what impact changed conditions will have in the future.
- deficient assessment of sea level rise on ecology/hydrology – incl saltmarsh.
- deficient assessment on endangered/protected species, deficient protection i.e. signage
- no recognition/provision for adequate environmental restoration, protection, planning & community consultation required by HP DCP (incl. using cleared grassed areas as buffer for APZ, saltmarsh migration & excluding required vegetated buffer to EECs – need both).
- too big/too close to natural flora/fauna/ecology of the area. Disturbance impacts excessive.
Amenity, Character, Safety and Proposed Planning Amendments
- uncharacteristic with the low lying character of Creek St and adjoining properties.
- community title of undeveloped portion & 50m buffer inadequate to protect environment & alleviate current flood pressure by remediating/reopening estuary through southern buffer.
- inconsistent with proposed planning amendments including a 75m buffer, 700 m2 blocks, no/minimal fill, proper 50 m vegetated buffer zone (not part APZ/mosquito/midge buffer)
- no specific mosquito & biting midge assessment in respect of subject DA/old one deficient.
- adverse visual impact of houses in Creek St, too close to estuary and viewing from east.
- reliance on dated traffic assessments, inadequate consideration of traffic impact and pedestrian island, speed mitigation, construction impact, street design & character requirements include. natural green verges for filtration, drainage, amenity requirements.
I authorise and support submissions for and on behalf of the HPPA, Hastings Point community by O’Reilly Douglas & Co, MWA Environmental and Australian Wetlands Consulting.
(Note: Submissions may be left in box at NorthStar reception by 7pm WEDNESDAY 12 APRIL)