30 years of fraud and bumbling government negligence leave 400 mostly elderly residents to Flood in Hastings Point.
How could this Happen some Ask? Read details on LOT 156 page (click on link). http://savehastingspoint.com/lot-156/
1. Owner/developer steals 7.5 hectares of Crown/community estuary through fraudulent boundary adjustment.
2. NSW Department of Lands negligently signs off on it and ignores pleas for rectification.
3. Owner/developer illegally dredges stolen crown land, fills stolen estuary and a flood plain to create development opportunity.
4. Tweed Council takes legal action to stop developer – but no real action as no order for remediation of damage sought.
5. Result: the filled flood plain causes community of 400 to flood significantly in 2005.
6. Owner/developer illegally clears further land to enhance more development opportunity.
7. Tweed Council takes legal action after damage but again no real action as no order to remediate significant damage sought.
8. Owner/developer attempts to bribe Council for zoning favours.
9. Owner/developer now seeks to develop on the only floodplain for the catchment by raising land further..
10 Owner/developer now seeks to destroy further protected land by offering to rejuvenate land they destroyed – a large portion of which has recovered.
11. Experts, including Council’s own, say the proposed development of 70 dwellings on a levy of fill will flood residents significantly worse.
12. Experts say the proposed development will damage an already stressed estuary and wetland.
Who will open up this history of dodgy conduct?
Who will readjust boundaries to give existing stolen water – crown land – back?
Who will have the courage to take responsibility for the Past and now the Future?
Who will have the guts to turn from greed and politics and apply the law?
But, who most importantly will actually take action to stop a potential flooding disaster?
Be sure – if nothing happens, 400 people will flood and alot worse this time!!!
See what happened in our last flood where the risk was less!!!
Finally, who will have the spine to say Sorry? Yes – a National “Sorry Hastings Point Day! is in order”
Hastings Point Residents call on Premier Keneally, Minister Kelly, the Department of Planning, the Department of Lands and Tweed Shire Council to take action now!!!
TIME FOR GOVERNMENT ACTION IS WELL OVER-DUE!!!
Our Owner/developer is so cocky that it illegally clears in an environmental protection zone readying itself for a NSW Department of Planning visit and is fined by Council $3,000 in the process.